By default, Veloren comes with a default world that has been generated for you, so you can get right in and experience the game. Due to the complexity in terrain generation, it takes around 10-30 minutes to generate a new world from scratch.
Generating a Custom World[edit | edit source]
1. Open your singleplayer or server's settings file. See [here](userdata-folder-structure.md).
2. Set your custom
map_file to "
3. Launch your game as normal, whether you're doing it through singleplayer or the server cli.
4. The generation process can take a significant length of time, with little indication that it's running properly. 10 minutes on a good CPU is expected, for standard-sized worlds. Eventually, it will load into the new world.
5. The world will be saved in a
maps folder, as a binary file. Set
Some(Load("maps/<filename>.bin")),, else it will try to regenerate it each time.
Map Options[edit | edit source]
|None||Loads the default world map, located in the `assets/world/map` folder.|
|Some(Generate)||Generates a new world, using `world_seed`, and starts the server using it. **Does not save the resulting world file.**|
|Some(Save)||Same as with `Generate`, but will save the world as a binary file in a `maps` directory.|
|Some(Load("maps/example.bin"))||Loads a map from file|
Advanced Methods[edit | edit source]
- If you are able to compile the game, you can generate maps with custom sizes and terrain scales, through the same steps as above.
- To change map size, edit the `x` and `y` values Here. Each increment will **double** map scale. Be warned that worldgen times similarly increase, and that actually loading larger worlds can be quite RAM-heavy.
- To change terrain scale, edit Here. `4.0` is based on earth-like values, and gives a much grander scale to terrain than the default.
Map Viewer[edit | edit source]
If you are able to compile, you can also try an example map generator and viewer application. Run the following command from your local repository, depending on preferred terminal.
RUST_LOG="info,veloren_world=debug" cargo run --release --example water
set RUST_LOG=info,veloren_world=debug&& cargo run --release --example water
$env:RUST_LOG="info,veloren_world=debug"; cargo run --release --example water
- By default it will load the default world from the `assets` folder. Input a custom seed Here, and change two lines below if you want to generate or load a different world.
- This method **will** indicate progress through world generation, progressing from `Erosion iteration 0` through to `99`, and so is recommended for larger worlds.
- Once the map loads, the default view shows temperature and humidity overlays. Press T and H to disable them, respectively, and M to enable real map colours. F4 will take a screenshot.
- The map viewer is somewhat unresponsive, so you may need to hold keys for a moment for them to take effect.
Troubleshooting[edit | edit source]
If the default map loads despite changes you have made, double check you haven't mistyped any of the settings. In particular, you must not remove the trailing commas from the `.ron` files.