This style guide has the simple purpose of making the Veloren Wiki easy to read by establishing a certain format. One way is often as good as another, but if everyone does things the same way, the articles will be easier to read and use, along with being easier to write and edit. Reading the style guide is important to ensure that each user's edits will be consistent with those of other users.
Pages must have appropriate titles. Page names should always be exactly the same as in-game name of the subject.
- Names, locations and titles should all be capitalised appropriately. Capitalization rarely applies to every word in the article title.
- A rule of thumb for article titles is that they should follow how they are displayed in game. If both words are capitalised then do that.
- Block capitals should not be used in titles. 'Article titles', not 'ARTICLE TITLES'.
- Words such as articles (a,an, and the) and short prepositions (e.g. in, of, from) should all be left uncapitalised, unless the first word of a title.
Sometimes technical restrictions of MediaWiki prevent editors naming pages after their in-game names.
Section and headings
Separating articles into sections makes them easy to read and navigate. Headings are used to split articles into sections.
Use two equal signs (
=) style markup for headings. Start with
=, add the heading title, then end with
This section's heading was created with the markup:
= Sections and headings =
This subsection's heading was created with the markup:
=== Markup ===
- In a heading, capitalise only the first letter of the first word and the first letter of any proper nouns, and leave all of the other letters in lowercase. Quest titles, skills, names, cities, and so on should all have the first letter capitalised.
- Avoid putting links in headings.
- Make sure that the heading has an appropriate and accurate title, as this is important to help readers navigate the article.
- Keep headings short.
A lead (introduction) summarises the most important points of an article, creating interest in the topic. Thus, it should be limited to a few paragraphs. Certain information, such as strategies and trivia, should be in a separate section instead of in the lead. This applies only to articles that are of sufficient length to incorporate a lead.
- Every time an article is mentioned on the page, you don't have to link to every single one. For example, apple may be mentioned five times. You only have to link to apple once. You can link to articles more than once if the page is very long.
- Piped link formats for simple plurals are generally unnecessary. For example, use
- On the other hand, use
[[wolf]]swhen appropriate. Don't be afraid to use a piped link when necessary, particularly if avoiding them contorts the language unnecessarily or introduces spelling or grammatical errors into the article. Piped links have legitimate uses in an article.
Entity graphics settings
Use these graphics settings when taking NPC, scenery, detailed item, equipped item images. N/A indicated an irrelevant setting.
|Sprite View Distance
|Entity View Distance
|Field of View
|Cloud Rendering Mode
|Fluid Rendering Mode
|Lighting Rendering Mode
|Type A - High
|Shadow Rendering Mode
|Map (Resolution: 1)
This section covers preffered standards which are set or applied after the screenshot is taken, outside of Veloren. This is usually in an image editor.
|Biomes panoramic pic
The preferred image format is .png (in lowercase letters) because it has no compression artefacts and supports transparency. Images can be saved .png by changing "Save as type"(or similar) option at the bottom of the save window in most image editors.
Be sure to crop the image to show what is needed to the serve the image's purpose. Crop away any irrelevant pixels that would distract from the image's original purpose. For example, a player wishing to create an image showing a Sheep should only have the sheep in the image, no other NPCs or items.
This seciton covers how images should be uploaded and used on the Wiki.
When uploading an image to the Wiki, the name should be as descriptive as possible. It is helpful to identify how the subject is depicted, whether it is an infobox image, an inventory icon, an equipped image, and so on. Names such as "Screenshot-01" or "Untitled 1" are not acceptable. Likewise, including player names in the image title is not allowed. As for the extension, .png is preferred over .PNG.
- Images should be prefixed with Veloren_ and named exactly as shown in game. E.g. Veloren_Dwarven_Cheese.png or Veloren_Dwarven_Cheese_Icon.png
- Image names use Title Case. This means every word should be capitalised.
- Image names use Underscores between words.
If you require any assistance with naming or have any questions. Message @Scott in the Veloren Discord.